Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sometimes, I just don't get paid enough to do my job!

So for the most part I love being a paramedic. You get to experience something new most days of work. Well, last night at work I experienced something that I had not had the chance to, and never do I want to again!
My partner Shannon and I were called to the scene of a person hit by a car. We happened to be right around the corner, so besides having one police officer on scene, we were by ourselves. I looked to see a young women laying in the road, literally kicking and screaming. Seeing that I knew this wasn't anything life-threatening, but still, we have procedures and protocols we must follow. I approached the girl and knelt down to hold her head and neck so if she had any injuries to her neck and back, it would stop any movement and any further harm. I saw no visible injuries on this young lady, but boy, could she scream. I swear my ears started bleeding from her high pitched wails! And she wasn't screaming because she was in pain, oh no. She was screaming because she was drunk, and mad that someone hit her. So as I'm trying to talk to her through her screams, my partner Shannon is trying to examine her for injuries, and that's when it happened...this 120 pound girl punched me with her right fist! She got me in the right eye and temporal area. Boy did it hurt! My eye immediately started watering and I had an instant headache. When Shannon, and thank gosh the police officer saw this happen, Shannon grabbed her arms and was then scratched by this upstanding citizen all down her face and chest. The police officer came over to help after this girl finished off her attack on us by spitting in both of our faces! I just don't get paid enough to do this! So after getting her to the hospital, Shannon and I filed felony assault charges against her. Assaulting a paramedic is just like assaulting a police officer. So now I am in bed with a headache and a swollen face knowing that next week sometime I will get a call from the Clearwater police department telling me when our day in court is. Here is what I kind of look like.


(courtesy football.guardian.co.uk)

The worst part of all of this is was that I was totally going to get my eyebrows waxed this weekend, but now I have to wait for the swelling to go down! Great, Groucho Marx here I come!


(courtesy www.16-9.dk)

1 comment:

Angelam9674 said...

OH NO!! I hope you're ok! I can't believe that. People are nuts.