Thursday, March 12, 2009

Fun With My Mom in Florida

So over the last 3 weeks, I have had several people come down to visit wonderful me (and I'm sure that the amazing weather that Florida offers up this time of year had nothing to do with it).

The first round of visitors was my awesome mother and her coworker and friend for the last 18 years Barb. I picked them up and the first place I took them was a surprise for my mom. I took her to a building in Clearwater that had been once owned by a bank and then a used car company. In 1996 it had been discovered that in several of the windows a picture of the Virgin Mary had appeared. Here is a picture of it from the late 1990's.


From this, a catholic organization bought the building and it became a place of prayer and reflection. Sadly, in 2004, a young man of 18 smashed out 3 of the upper windows, destroying this apparition of the Virgin Mary. It is still a place for those of faith and my mom had wanted to see it, so that was her first stop of her Florida vacation. When we got there and I explained where we were, she stated that this was the highlight of her trip! I was delighted I was able to take her to see this, but was slightly put off that seeing her most favorite eldest daughter wasn't her highlight! Here is a picture of it on the day my mom was there. As you can see, the after the top windows were destroyed, the image was ruined.


The next day we went to my favorite restaurant on Anna Maria Island which happens to be the Anna Maria City Pier. It is a small restaurant on the end of a 100 year old pier. People fish and cast while others eat and enjoy the live music. You can even feel the entire pier move ever so slightly when you are sitting down enjoying your dinner. My mom and Barb shared a West Coast Steamer pot which is just a large pot with crab, shrimp, corn, celery and carrots in it. They had a good time eating it!


Barb however, got a little messy!


Our next adventure was a wonderful day spent at the happiest place on Earth...Disney World! My mom loves it there and Barb had never been. So we spent an afternoon at Magic Kingdom thanks to my amazing friend Angie. We of course had to get some pictures of this day, and my mom and Barb never let me down with their creative poses. Here are a few.


(Watch out for those wild animals!)


I think it was my mom's goal to find and take a picture of herself in several of the hats that Disney offers it's guest for purchase. Here are 2 of my favorite!



We had a wonderful time there and ended the day with a sunset ride on the ferry back to our car. Here is my mom, Barb and Angie enjoying the peaceful cruise back after a long day.


The next two days were reserved for the sun, surf and sand! We traveled down to one of my favorite beaches and Florida's number 2 best beach, Siesta Key beach. The sand is so soft and white. In fact, it is the purest sand in the world being 99 % pure, ground quartz. Mom and Barb enjoyed the day and my mom even decided to show off her sexy side a bit to the locals!


And to think this picture of my mom was before she and Barb started drinking!



On the way back to my part of the island, my mom and Barb thought they would live it up, and ride home "topless"!
(Warning: This next imagine may have explicit or suggestive behavior that may be damaging to anyone with eyes! View at your own discretion!)





Ha, ha! Did you REALLY think my mom would go topless?! Especially after her vacation started with seeing the Virgin Mary! Made you look though!

Our last day of fun was spent with some new friends we had met. Barb's cousin's live ironically about 10 minutes from me and they own 2 boats and were nice enough to take us out on one for the afternoon. I love being on the water, and now I know where I get it from. From this picture, I'd say my mom feels the same way!


We saw some amazing wildlife and got some great pictures. Here are a few of my favorite.


(These are some beautiful white pelicans which are more rare then the regular pelican that most people are used to seeing.)




The night was capped off with a wonderful dinner at the Beach House where my friend Mitch joined us. I had my second helping that day of soft-shell crab. (It was actually Ash Wednesday, so no meat). And we finished all of our meals off with a gigantic ice cream sundae! Yummy!!



I had a wonderful time with my mom and Barb and all of our friends, new and old that joined us. I miss my mom dearly living so far away, but I know that these memories will forever be with me!

No comments: